On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:12 PM, deface <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Daniel da Veiga wrote:
>
> > I've been struggling with network managing in my laptop for some time
> > now. There's no decent way to keep it on config files. I connect to a
> > LOT of completely different wired and wireless networks.
> >
> > I'm using Gnome, but I have all KDE libraries as dependencies for some
> > stuff. The machine is an Asus EEE 701 with an Atheros card. I'm using
> > ndiswrapper trying to avoid patching the madwifi drivers, waiting for
> > the official commit. My first try was NetworkManager, beautiful tool,
> > allowed me to manage my wired and open wireless connections fine, but
> > once I need WPA for wireless at the University, it failed on me. It
> > seems it can't talk to wpa_supplicant the right way. One possible fix
> > would be downgrade to version 0.5.4 of wpa_supplicant, but its not in
> > portage anymore, so I quit.
> >
> > Next I tried some gtk stuff, scripting stuff, gosh, so many.
> >
> > End up with WICD, wich for the most part works fine. I didn't have the
> > time to check why the heck it tries to connect to "None" more often
> > then it tries with the SSID I"m telling it to (maybe some
> > configuration file lost in the way), but anyway, change driver from
> > "ndiswrapper" or "wext" and it eventually works.
> >
> > What are you guys using? I"m accepting suggestions!
> >

>  I haven't read the rest of the replies, but have you tried going UP, and
> not DOWN? meaning a CVS version of NM? This is a beautiful application,
> which has filled many much needed holes in the world of linux and wireless.
> NM is under rapid development and many changes are commited. (if you've gone
> up, sorry .. like i said; haven't read the rest of the replies on this one.)

I have run both stable and testing versions on portage. I even tried
compiling from source, and that failed, can't recall the reason.

I'm still looking for a stable network manager app. I'm currently
switching from Gnome to XFCE, so I'm gonna try some other apps, like
pynetworkmanager...

--
Daniel da Veiga