I'd recommend 2007 based on the below. I put 2007.0 on my PII 233 last fall. It does take a while, but it really didn't take that much longer than my AMD64 build - though, I don't think I put KDE on it, which I did on the AMD64. YMMV.

FYI - you can always upgrade the 2007 profile to 2008. I just did that on my AMD64. And its a pretty smooth and slick process - I had always rebuilt a box to change distros before (usually after a few years of use and upgrades and not rebuilding just to change the distro either) so it was a first for me. So don't be afraid to use the 2007.

Ben

deface wrote:
2008 is still in beta, but it should still work. I'd use 2007.0. Also, i sure hope you have a box setup for distcc. compiling gentoo on these old/slow procs could take days.

deface