ยท Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sat, 10 May 2008 08:07:25 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>
>> At least I wouldn't store everything in the same directory. It would
>> of course be a good idea to seperate things.
>
> <sigh> When did I ever mention using a single directory to mix up all
> backups?

Never. And when did I say something like that?

> All I did was answer a question with an example of when different OSes
> may need to share a backup medium

Correct. However you said, that "you need to access it (Linux backup
directories) from Windows too". And that's the main point and the point
that hasn't been answered yet: Why do you think, that such a need
exists?

On the contrary, I think that such a need absolutely does not exist
and should be very much avoided. Reasons:

- "DOS Filesystems" (fat, ntfs) don't allow to store all the metadata
you find on Linux.
- "Linux filesystems" (ext*, reiser, ...) don't allow to store all
the metadata you find on Windows.
- Sharing backup space means, that it get's used more often. This
makes the risk larger, that something bad happens.

And last, but not least: Why should backup directories be shared in
the first place?

>> And why do you make such a fuss about such a natural thing? There's
>> just no reason in sharing such a device/filesystem/"storage endpoint"
>> between different operating systems.
>
> Where did I state that a storage endpoint should be shared?

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Date: Wed, 7 May 2008
16:09:30 +0100

Michael Schmarck
--
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least somebody's
listening.