Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 07:18:33 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> >  I guess I don't understand how the system got these packages but
>> >  appears not to know much about them.
>>
>> Try adding --with-bdeps y and see if that addresses it. I've got this
>> in my make.conf file
>>
>> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
>
> Another possibility is that ypou merged them with the --oneshot option,
> or that they were pulled in as a dependency of a package you no longer
> have (or has been updated to a version that is no longer dependent on
> them). What does "emerge --depclean -p" show?

Along with dire warnings about ruining your system it lists 80 pkgs to
be removed.  Some are also on the eix-test-obsolete list of 14.

I suspect I had better not allow it to actually remove these pkgs.

For example, one of the listed pkgs is:

  gnome-base/libgnomeui

which equery says `firefox' and `etherape' depend on.