On Thursday 15 May 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Justin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I understand it the other way round. It is not an active knocking on
> > your ports, but a passive MS thing. Lots of Chinese bought a new
> > computer with an MS operating system, which is sending out to the
> > world.
>
> Justin,
> A moments thought would indicate that logic has a large flaw in it.
> MS is the largest selling OS world wide .. that would indicate I
> should see this traffic from all parts of the world.  But what I see is
> probably 85 % chinese in origin.

The large flaw in logic you noticed may be smaller than initial assumptions
would suggest.  In essence the Chinese MSWindows users are new in the scene
and not as technically savvy as their primarily western counterparts.  The
latter have been through the educational cycle of getting infected and
reinstalling WinXP a few times over.  Arguably the Chinese machines are not
as well patched, or updated (you can google for figures of illegitimate WinXP
copies in Asia . . . )

It can't be a coincidence that the highest growth in botnets is closely
correlated with the arrival of capitalistic consumerism in developing
countries like China, Eastern Europe, Russia and South America.
--
Regards,
Mick