[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
>
> [...]
>
> > Any of the above steps that are not necessary?
>
> Other have commented about the .../boot stuff but in dozens of times
> chrooting during all kinds of install situations I've never done
>   `mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev'
>
> And far as I know it never caused me a problem.

I assume you have a static /dev setup then, probably not visible after udev
has created new entries. Could you try the mount -o bind stuff and check if
the contents of /dev and /mnt/gentoo/dev differ? Typical devices like
[hs]d[a-d] should be present in both trees, so the chroot /dev will work,
too, at least for most practical purposes, like setting up grub.

On the other hand, my /dev only has two files in it (console and null), the
rest is created by udev. In a chroot, they are gone, and grub would not
work.

        Wonko