deface <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> assuming you've got your make.conf setup appropriately, the overlay
> will take precisidence.
>
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage/local"
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/storage/repos/uberpenguin/trunk"
> source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

Sorry it must be going right over my head.
I don't see an answer to my question there.

How and where to set different use flags for layman as compared to
usr/portage?

Or lets say I set some USE flags in
  /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

Depending on where that line:
  `source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf'

is in /etc/make.conf it appears any USE flags set in
..layman/make.conf will either possible overwrite some in
/etc/make.conf or the other way round.
And the conglomerate will be what emerge runs with.

It would also seem that /etc/portage/package.use would be global and
include layman... is that right?

So again, if one wanted to set some use flags differently for layman
packages ... where and how would that be done?