On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Florian Philipp
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I've recently started both programming and using some Java applications
> (not that I would have a choice ...).
>
> Well, anyway, as it seems the default style for Swing is set to
> "Metal", Java's own rather ugly and non-conforming variant. Is there
> a way to set this to GTK, QT or whatever I have here other than
> through the functionality in the programs themeselve?
> Or is it really the Java-VM who's dictating what's the default for a
> given platform (Windows/Linux)?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Florian Philipp

I think the JVM defaults to motif, it's supported on most platforms. I
found this on the web:

<start-quote>
Yes, it is possible.

In the ~/java/lib dir, create / edit a file with name swing.proprierties:

Change the line:

swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.CURRENTLO OKANDFEEL

swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLo okAndFeel
</end-quote>

Don't know if it works though?