James wrote:

I have this usb camera installed (or so I think):

lsbus:
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:08b2 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 4000

/etc/udev/rules.d/40-video.rules has this entry:
KERNEL=="video[0-9]*",  NAME="v4l/video%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="video"

So what is a good application to view the live video with?

This used to work really well with the pwc set of drivers, but support was removed from the kernel, and thus Gentoo, a few months ago. I ended up buying a Logitech Quickcam 9000 to replace mine, which has much better picture, and is supported by the uvc set of drivers - these seem to be under more active development.

Sorry I don't have a better answer!

Paul