TOP POSTED SUMMARY: operator error.  An incorrect setting of LANG and LC_ALL
were in /etc/profile.
They had been suggested by the guide, but were incorrectly done and override
the results of all the
02locale and locale.gen things.

Now one X restart later, k3b and perl and I are all happy.

Thanks for suggesting a re-reading, Daniel.

++ kevin