* Nicolai Beuermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Unmerging the old glibc ends up in an error about commands are
> no longer found. Back at the prompt I canĀ“t fire any command.
> Nothing was found. Even shutdown failed.

When you're  trying to  run some binary  (which definitively exists
and is +x) and  you get something  like no such  file or directory,
it  probably means that the  libc stub in your  binary  cannot load
the  libc's  dynamic loader.  That's  because (at  least  on  glibc
systems),  the  dynamic loader  itself  sits  in an  shared library
(eg. /lib/ld-linux.so)  and  each  executable has  an  little  stub
which just loads the  dynamic linker. This  is then responsible for
ld.so.cache,  environment, etc).  This  all  happens  much  earlier
before main() is called.

Yes, glibc's stub should be more clear about this ;-o

IMHO,  you've removed  exactly that libc  (or at least it's dynamic
linker) your binaries are built against,  so they can't be executed
anymore - you'r system is unbootable.

ldd output on these binaries should give your more enlightenment.

If you're  sure you've rebuilt  all of them and they're still built
against the old glibc,  it's might be a  toolchain problem.  Try to
rebuild gcc and binutils first.

BTW: if you don't want to risk an unbootable system, you could have
a try in chroot first.

cu