Hal Martin wrote:
| Alan McKinnon wrote:
|> On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Hal Martin wrote:
[snip]
|> No, he did not start a new thread. Other wise why does his mail have
|> this header;

[snip]
| Quite right, my mistake for looking into it further.

[snip]
|> That's not how you determine if a thread has been hijacked. The Re: is
|> simply a subject line and can be edited. Deleting all content from a
|> extended headers to do it, specifically In-Reply-To and References
|>

| Using Thunderbird it appeared to be a new thread, the same applies to
| the GMail web interface. However, on closer inspection of the message
| header, it does appear to be a case of thread hijacking. My mistake, and
| I would retract my previous comments regarding the matter. I instead
| wish to resubmit my response on thread hijacking:
|
| Thread Hijacking is bad, don't do it.
|
| -Hal

Just a small point here.  Mozilla Thunderbird has a threaded view option that
allows you to view entire threads, without regard to the subject line, so it is
thread aware - you just have to set the right options.  Viewing it that way, it
is clear to see that the message in question, was a case of thread hijacking.
Is it the crime of the century?  No.  Is it something people want to see on a
mailing list like this?  No.

Everyone makes mistakes, and it is can be good to point them out, though I do
think this thread is a bit of overkill - a private message to the person who
made the mistake is usually enough.

Just my $0.020000000000001

Regards,
Chris