Chris Walters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at Monday 23 June 2008, 17:46:23
> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> | Am Montag, 23. Juni 2008 schrieb ext Chris Walters:
>
> [snip]
>
> |> 3. Number and type of ciphers available
> |
> | Maybe I'm wrong, but the name loop-aes tells this, right? With LUKS,
> | one can use (nearly?) any cipher/hash supported by the kernel.
>
> [snip]
>
> | Gentoo has support for both. Big plus of LUKS is the ability to assign
> | more than one key (so my wife can boot the laptop with her own key).
> |
> | HTH...
> |
> |     Dirk
>
> Actually, there are extra ciphers available for use with loop-aes.

Does it matter?  AES is on of the best algorithms available, there is no
reason to change to another.

> I might try LUKS.  Does it have support for multi-key encryption?

Yes, it has.

> How about random key encryption?

That's not a matter of the encryption software itself, random keys should be
possible with any encryption thing out there.

Actually, multi-key encryption somehow requires random keys.  In such a
setup, there is a random master key, which itself is ciphered with the
individual user keys.  When adding or removing user keys, the software
stores a individually encrypted copy of the random master key (or removes
it).

                                      (Rosa Luxemburg)