On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> If it is so easy for them to crack our ciphers (and the one they use
> themselves, btw.), why doesn't Kasperky ask them to crack the key of
> the GPCode virus which, according to Kaspersky's assumptions, would
> keep 15 million modern PCs busy for a year.

There's an interesting side possibility to that one. It's entirely
plausible that the key used to encrypt all those poor sucker Windows
user's files isn't just any old key, but rather a very important public
key that matches a private key the bad guys would like to have - like a
CA's private key.

Maybe cracking that key isn't such a good idea after all. I think this
is a case for hose-pipe decryption.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com