John covici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  > This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
>  > soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
>  > laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
>  > subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
>  > couple of cents. Some do that. :-(
>  >

> I am having the same problem -- but additionally my CDROM  has no
> place to even put such a cable -- at least according to the person who
> actually put the machine together.
> I have not opened up the box to check, but if so, what can I do to
> play cds?

It is most inlikely that thius is related to this cable....

I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)

and install cdda2wav suid root.

Then call:

cdda2wav -e -N -B

If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)