Hi gentoo-users,

I'm running Gentoo flawlessly on my laptop for nearly one year now, but since yesterday, I'm in big trouble. At some instance (surfing in the web,.. nothing horrible) the screen froze and the only thing I was able to do, was pressing the power button 4seconds to shut the computer down.

I was never able to boot my system since then.

It sayed always things like: Not able to find root file system (or likewise)

So I plugged in my live-cd to recover the whole thing...

But I wasn't able to mount the root partition, so I tried e2fsck, which turned out to find a whole lot of errors and told me that it corrected them.

Thus I retried to mount the file system, which resulted in an big error of mount, saying something about Kernel BUG (?!?)

At that point I realized that this could become a major problem for me, since all my personal data is on my root partition (I know, I should't do that...but thats the way things are right now)

I used dd to make a copy of this partition to an external hard disk, and begun to recover it from there. dd gave no errors as it copied the partition, so I think this is no hardware failure

I rerun e2fsck on the partition, it corrected a little more, but after that, it didn't found anything new, but I still wasn't able to mount the partition (nor the partition dump)

The crutial part of the dmesg output seems to be:

Assertion failure in cleanup_journal_tail() at fs/jbd/checkpoint.c:430: "blocknr != 0"

Is this a known issue with ext3 filesystems?

Thaks in andvance for any help,

Carsten

PS: Please tell me if you need more information