Michael Higgins wrote:
So, I finally got the OK to nuke another Dell winbox. My dream is to:

* Partition the restore partition (3.6 GB) for any small linux
installation
* make that partition active, bootable, with grub installed

* reboot and ssh into that linux machine to finish by toasting NTFS
partition and making it my gentoo system '/' as per usual...

Can this be done without physical access to the machine which is
currently running windows XP? I am administrator and get 'there' via
RDP.

It is possible: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap5

But not really recommended because if you do something wrong (wrong grub config, SSH misconfiguration, etc.) you'll need to go there and get physical access.

Also, instead of installing a downloaded tarball, you can just clone the existing Gentoo installation into the new partition and boot from it. This usually means:

'cp -a' your existing / to your target / (except /dev, /sys and /proc). If you mounted your target / as /root/target, you do:

cp -a /usr /root/hd
(repeat this for all directories in your current / *EXCEPT* /dev, /proc, /sys and /lost+found)

mkdir /root/hd/dev
mkdir /root/hd/proc
mkdir /root/hd/sys
mknod /root/hd/dev/console c 5 1
mknod /root/hd/null c 1 3
touch /root/hd/dev/.keep
touch /root/hd/proc/.keep
touch /root/hd/sys/.keep

Now chroot into it:

mount -t proc none /root/mnt/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /root/hd /bin/bash

Now edit /etc/fstab to use the new partitions, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and reinstall grub:

grub
root (hd0,0)    <-- sustitute with what you really have/want
setup
quit

Now change your SSH config to allow for root login! (Or add a normal user if you don't want that.) In any case, check your SSH config.

You're ready.  Leave the chroot and unmount:

exit
umount /root/hd/dev
umount /root/hd/proc

If you've set up grub correctly while in the chroot, you can now reboot and the new system should come up. If not, I hope it's not a long drive or walk to get physical access :P