On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Stroller
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The screenshots of this look really nice, however to me this seems like a
> really odd motivation for writing a program:
>
>  I started developing it when I couldn't find a personal database
>  program for KDE which didn't using a SQL backend.
>
> What's wrong with an SQL backend that needs you to re-invent the wheel? I'm
> not saying there's a better collection manager out there, or that the
> author's in the wrong for doing it the way he has. But it just seems a
> little odd, and I'd love for him to explain his reasons more fully.
>
> Stroller.
>
> --

I personally have a problem running a SQL server just so that some app
that I use every now and then can store its data. I don't print that
often, so why would I have the CUPS daemon running 24/7 when I print a
page once every two weeks?

Other than that there is also the added complexity to the
installation. You have to create a user in the database, create the
database and grant the user all the needed permission to that specific
database.

And what if one app prefers mySQL and another one postgreSQL? Now I
need to run two database servers that will be quite capable to fill
the data needs of two small businesses just because I want to use a
music player and a library utility for my ~50 books laying around.

The app should at least give you the option to use somethings else like SQLlite.

But, that is just my viewpoint and I felt like I had to defend the
developers motivation.

Regards
Dirk