On Thursday 17 July 2008, Grant wrote:

> 'emerge -pv python' wants to install python-2.5.2-r5 in a new slot.
> Should I unmerge python, emerge the new python, and run
> python-updater?  Will portage work once python has been unmerged?
> I'm being cautious because this is a highly critical system for me.

Nooooooooooo! You can't have a gentoo system without python - portage
heavily uses python scripts. This is even worse than unmerging gcc.

The general sequence (and ALWAYS read the ebuilds - especially the
*DEPEND sections and act appropriately) is:

merge new python in new SLOT
run python updater
check carefully that everything works properly
unmerge python in old SLOT

"A stitch in time" is your watchword here

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com