Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
I run gentoo x86 stable, so that I usually avoid this sort of thing.

This kernel, however, looks balky to me, because it's reporting
warnings and other oddities during compilation.  I don't like warnings
at any time, and with the kernel's make wrappers cleaning up the
output they tend to stand out.

Here's what I get:
-- various type/attribute warnings
-- reports of deprecated elements
-- a report of "section mismatches", and instructions to use "make
CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y" to find details.

All that being said, the compilation completes, and I can boot it.  I
don't know the cause, but I have been unable to get vmware-server
running on it, and I'm going back to the previous kernel for that
reason.

I hope you're not implying that a kernel should not be declared stable simply because a vmware product lags behind in kernel support? vmware 4 lacks support for kernel 2.6 alltogether, maybe we should only have 2.4 stable because of that.