Eric Martin wrote:

Harry Putnam wrote:
Josh Cepek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Harry Putnam wrote:
David Blamire-Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I did this a while back and I got it working by tunnelling via SSH
(using putty on windows).  But I can't remember the exact details
off the top of my head. It may be worth googling that set-up. I seem
to remember thinking it felt like a kludge and I can't quite
remember why I ended up doing it, but I do remember that it worked.
Well at least that sounds promising.  I did see mention of that in
some of my google searches but I wondered, If I had to use ssh, why
wouldn't I just pull the X session on linux across with ssh alone.
And forget about VNC.
Session persistence. [1] With VNC I can create a full desktop session
(I use Fluxbox because it's lightweight) and connect to it as needed
from any system with network access. This is great for my IM app. I
lock my firewall rules down to allow VNC only from localhost and ssh
tunnel all my connections (even on the LAN) because VNC's auth scheme
is dreadfully insecure.
[...]

I had expected to be able to connect to the running X desktop but
apparently that isn't going to happen.  In other words I cannot view
the running desktop from a remote machine but am forced to view a new
or different desktop where none of the things I have running on :0 are
available.

I'm pretty sure x11vnc will do that.  I do know there's a vnc server
that will let you grab your current xsession and I think that's the one.
 Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
I can confirm that x11vnc is the one.  I use it often.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!