Hi Dale,
on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 03:44:54PM -0500, you wrote:
> How do you run out of inodes anyway?  I use reiserfs for most partitions
> except /boot and portage.  My /data partition has 75,000 files and 3,600
> directories.  No problems so far but not near as many files as you have.

You can adjust the number of inodes to create at mkfs using -i, -N or -T
which are just different ways of doing the same thing. Lowering the
number of inodes wastes less disk space if you know you're not going to
write many files anyway. This feature bit me once when I set up a
-Tlargefile4 partition (i.e. one inode per 4 MiB of disk) for videos. As
it happens, I had to misuse it for backups at some point and was very
puzzled when df showed 3% used space but even "touch" gave me a "no space
left on device" error. tarring the stuff I had planned to just copy
solved it and would prolly have been faster in the first place :)

cheers,
        Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665