Dale <dalek1967 <at> bellsouth.net> writes:

Well, the reason I asked is for clarity.
I found this gentoo doc, which seems a little dated:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/
HOWTO_Detailed_Kernel_Configuration

So what I gleen is that you run on
a kernel, say version linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r8

You down load newer sources, say version
linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7

cd /usr/src

rm linux

ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 linux

make oldconfig  <???>
make menuconfig

cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.25-gentoo-r7
cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r7
cp .config /boot/config-2.6.25-gentoo-r7

edit grub apppropriately
and reboot to the new kernel?

This is what I do, but I do not use the oldconfig command.

A friend asked me how I build new kernel on gentoo and
I was hoping to find a current howto, that does not
use genkernel and such. I did not have any luck finding one
(although I did not look very hard).

Any suggestions are appreciated. The aforementioned howto
suggest that make oldconfig, xconfig and menuconfig are
alternate ways?  Maybe your not suppose to mix oldconfig
with menuconfig?

The reason I ask is some 2.6.23 to 2.6.24. to 2.6.25
kernel have lost setting (selected options) using
menuconfig alone. However, for a while the selected
options were always correctly included using the above
steps (without using oldconfig command syntax).

This is the source of my need for some clarity.
Maybe an updated howto is what is really needed?
One that skips genkernel and such?

James