On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Eric Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Daniel da Veiga wrote:

>>> gmail is only ssl on sign in if you go through webmail.  After that it's
>>> all in the clear.  POP and IMAP are running securely however (which is
>>> why I check my stuff via imap)
>>>

>> If you simply change the URL to https on gmail, you are using SSL.
>> The default is not to use it, so, you gotta type it yourself.
>>
>> https://mail.google.com/mail
>>

> Has it always been that way?  I could have sworn that only the login was SSL
> and everything else was in the clear (granted, I don't think I ever tried to
> change it to https).  Live & Learn

I don't know if it was always that way, what I know is that maybe 2
years ago some machines with IE6 couldn't reach gmail, and a quick
search showed that switching to HTTPS would solve it. As I knew that
was also giving me encryption, I began to type the complete address
with "s" wherever I use my account.

--
Daniel da Veiga