On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 08:38 -0500, Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Friday 15 August 2008 14:36:58 Dale wrote:
> >

> >> Somewhat still on the same subject since I am still cleaning.  Anyway to
> >> clean out unneeded files in /etc?  I'm thinking about files that may be
> >> there but the programs are no longer installed.  I read the man page for
> >> dep but didn't see anything.  Dang thing does a lot tho.
> >>

> > You could use the very long way round, something based on this:
> >
> > find /etc/ -type f -exec equery belongs {} \;
> >
> > then leave it alone for an hour or three
> >

> Hmmmm, I had to stop that after a few minutes.  It sort of took away
> from my folding.  Pushed my CPU to about 80% or so.
>
> There has to be a tool for this too.  Gentoo has about everything else.

I do a similar thing every month as a cron job.  It' runs at night so I
just get an email the next day.

--
#!/bin/bash

# Print out orphan files in specified directories

find /etc -xdev -type f -print|xargs qfile -o
find /usr -xdev \( -path /usr/src -prune \) -o -type f -not -name
'*.pyc' \
    -not -name '*.pyo' -not -name .keep  -print | \
    xargs qfile -o
find /lib -xdev \( -path /lib/modules -prune \) -o -type f |xargs qfile
-o