On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 08:00 +0200, Francesco Talamona wrote:
> It doesn't handle filenames with spaces, I tried with
>
> find /etc -xdev -type f -exec qfile -o {} \;
>
> that works with spaces, but has awful performances, so that's
> completely
> unusable on /usr.
>
> BTW I also tried to remove false positive hiding /usr/portage and the
> overlays folder .
>
> Does anyone know how to deal with spaces (to avoid false positives)
> and
> keep reasonable running times?

Change "-print" to "-print0" and change "xargs" to "xargs -0".

I should also say that that script is not fool-proof.  It goes under the
assumption that files are always going to be installed by the ebuild
src_install process.  Experience shows this is not always the case.  For
example the *.pyc files, some, /etc/*, font-cache files, etc. are
installed during post-install and so are not "recorded" by portage as
belonging to a package.  Common sense always prevails.  Of course a
person cleaning out an /etc/ dir that you hasn't been cleaned out in
five years is going to require considerably more "common sense" than one
who cleaned theirs out last month.

I've also modified the script to exclude /usr/portage and /usr/local
(they were on separate filesystems for me so I didn't need to).  You may
need to tweak it further for your needs.

-a