I've a Netgear DG834G router - and I connect two machines to it using Ethernet... one Gentoo; one Windows... it works reasonably well...

I hit a snag when downloading a large file from Gentoo - for example a multi-meg portage archive. At such times, the Windows PC seems to be given a rather unfair share of the bandwidth... with the Gentoo box getting 60K/s but the windows PC sometimes even failing to establish DNS lookups before they time-out.

Is there a straightforward way to make my Gentoo box 'play fair' and not hog 100% of the bandwidth?

Does anyone else have this problem?