On Tuesday 02 September 2008 17:38:01 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Roy Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Roy Wright wrote:
> >> On the negative side, the nvidia binary drivers still have major
> >> performance issues with KDE4.  This is a show stopper for me.
> >
> > I'd just thought I'd let everyone know there has been good progress
> > here.  Using the latest beta drivers (177.70) and with the settings from:
> >
> >  http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5191733.html#5191733
> >
> > KDE 4.1 performance (including eye candy) on my 8600 GTS is now
> > acceptable.
>
> Thanks for the tip Roy, I will give it a another shot. :)

I'm using 177.70 on a 8600m GT here, and still running into stability issues
(random crashes, X stops responding for 10 seconds and sometimes for ever).
However, performance is a lot better - far from perfect, but useable. The one
settings that is absolutely required is

nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2

Without it, scrolling any screen in Konqueror that's wide enough to need a
horizontal scrollbar is interminably slow. With it, it's almost as fast as
normal. Akregator with lots of articles in a feed is still deathly slow no
matter what settings i fiddle with.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com