Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 15:27 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>> Michael Sullivan wrote:
>>> I hooked up my old server box today so that I could update the software,
>>> only to find that I could not ssh over to it:
>>>
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ssh bullet
>>> Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
>>>
>>> There were no 'official' logs, but a website I found on google suggested
>>> running
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/sshd -ddd -p 2202
>>>
>>> and then trying to shell over with
>>>
>>> ssh -p 2202<boxname>
>>>
>>> Here's the output.  I piped it to a file:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I tried upgrading PAM and rebooting, but it didn't solve the problem.
>>> I'm running pam-1.0.1, if that matters...
>> what problem? you haven't actually said what is / isn't working!  What's
>> the output from the client when you try and ssh in with the command "ssh
>> -p 2202 <boxname>"?
>>

> I thought I was pretty clear on that, but here it is again:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ssh -p 2202 bullet
> Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
>
> As you can see, I'm still locked out.

try

# ssh -p 2202 -vv bullet

or

#ssh -vv bullet

as that will give you debug info from the client side of the connection.
   Is it safe to assume that you logged into it via the console to start
SSHd on 2202?  Also, does your user exist on the box?  It sounds like
'no', especially when btmp is involved.

--
Eric Martin
Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA  B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F