On 1 Oct 2008, at 20:31, maxim wexler wrote:
This printer, HP Laserjet 4 plus, works fine in WinXP. According to localhost:631 the printer was set up successfully but when I tried to print a test page the printer made some whirring noise then stopped and went off-line. In the LED readout on the printer it says: PC Load H4. According to the error log the job was "completed successfully".

Hi Maxim,

Is it possible the LED display on your LJ4 is broken, and it's in fact trying to display "Load A4"?

This is a European translation of the old Officespace "load letter" joke - A4 being a paper size about the same size as the US standard letter paper - and it seems likely to me that:

1) pressing the "ready" or "ok" button on the printer will cause it to print on the letter paper currently in the tray. (At least, this works the other way round, when a European printer says "load letter", but then A4 is c 1" longer than letter).

2) your printer is set to the wrong paper size somewhere. You may be able to find this among the settings in http://localhost:631 but it may also be in the menus on the printer itself. Don't neglect this! It's intended to tell the printer what sizes of paper are in each of its trays. This may work fine in XP because it ignores or overrides the printer's own settings, but may be respected by CUPS.

I should add that the LJ4 is old enough it should be supported under CUPS without the net-print/hplip software mentioned by Alan. I've certainly had one working here without it - I'm not sure if mine was a 4, 4+ or 5, to be honest, because I'm using a 4000-series now, still without hplip. I think I have always had Postscript on my LaserJets, but I don't think that'll make much difference.

Stroller.