It turns out that /etc/portage/package.keywords
and /etc/portage/package.unmask can be directories, which is convenient
for organizational purposes.  If this is the case, autounmask does the
smart thing and creates the file autounmask-pkgname (in this case,
autounmask-kde-meta) in those folders. I find this a much easier way to
try it out, and maintain its additions.