On 9 Oct 2008, at 19:32, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Paul Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [08-10-09 20:31]:
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I am using a nvidia card for linux. Therefore I have to compile the
nvidia driver interface for each new vanilla kernel I want to
use.
After compiling/installing the new kernel, the "old" kernel is
still running.
Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
the new kernel while the old one is still running?

Would save me one reboot...

I always do that and never had a problem. eselect to set new kernel
version, make & install the new kernel, emerge packages containing
modules, reboot. Works for me.

sorry, I missed to say, that I am using the vanilla kernel from
ftp.kernel.org. I am not using the gentoo kernel sources...

The only difference I can see that this makes is that the `eselect` might not work if you've installed the sources manually. I doubt it, but to be on the safe side use the vanilla kernel from ftp.kernel.org by using the `emerge sys-kernel/vanilla-sources` command.

Stroller.