Almost perpetually, the following packages or their versions are
blocking.  I have run emerge -e system several times.  Some other
problems were cleared up, and this
avahi--mDNSResponder/mdnsresponder-compat whatever it all is, just
keeps coming back even when solved by some skullduggery.  I've removed
both of them at one time or another.

[blocks B     ] net-dns/avahi ("net-dns/avahi" is blocking
net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5)

[blocks B     ] net-misc/mDNSResponder ("net-misc/mDNSResponder" is
blocking net-dns/avahi-0.6.23)

I guess the problem is that I am running gnome and also have two or
three different versions/slots of kde installed.  I suppose, then,
it's remarkable that only these blocks are showing up?

Can someone lend a hand on this?  Anything I do is little more than
blind tinkering.

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
       ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man