Sorry for the slow reply. I was expecting more people interested in
sharing their insights into updating old, ancient-grade dinosaur
systems. :)

On 10/20/08, Brian Wince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So the -I ignores the versions of packages installed and just fixes packages
> broken by a python upgrade, independent of the version?

Yes, I'd think for example in terms of the difference between "emerge
foo" and "emerge =foo-1.2.3". AFAICT, python-updater does the latter
by default, but with the -i option it is given a permission to do the
former "within a slot".

Since most packages only have a single slot, the "within a slot"
becomes irrelevant for them.

> I understand that slots can be used to install different versions of an app
> but not sure how that relates to python-updater.

Sorry if I lead you too much into this slot territory. The slots are
more of a red herring here, or just a small, distracting detail. For
most packages slots "won't matter".

But there are the few, like qt, for which it is important to keep
within a slot. Therefore it is nice that helpful scripts, like
python-updater, try to provide automagic support for the slotting
related stuff where it is needed.

Still, python-updater -i is not guaranteed to fix your original
problem, it was just a suggestion. The problem might not even lay with
libxml2, but one of its dependencies, their dependencies, or
dependencies of python itself.

If you haven't already tried it, then revdep-rebuild from the
gentoolkit package is your other friend. You might need try running it
first and then retry with the python-updater.

--
Arttu V.