--- On Thu, 23/10/08, Volker Armin Hemmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Volker Armin Hemmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Smartd
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Date: Thursday, 23 October, 2008, 6:53 PM
> On Donnerstag 23 Oktober 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> > Probably not strictly a Gentoo issue, but as i am
> running Gentoo I'll see
> > if the collective knowledge here can help me!
> >
> > I have a strange problem with my server. All the hard
> drives go to sleep
> > after ~3hrs of inactivity. BUT if they happen to still
> be asleep when the
> > scheduled smart check takes place you can hear it
> 'spin up' and just before
> > you know the drive is 'up' smartd decides the
> drive isn't smart capable and
> > gives up. I get log entries in 'messages' and
> dmesg and also smartd emails
> > me to tell me the drive isn't smart capable.
> >
> > You get the same result if you do -a on a sleeping
> drive... it says the
> > drive isn't capable.. run it again.. and Bob's
> your uncle. Any clues? Can
> > you vary the time before it tries after a spin up?
> >
> > -----------------------
> > N: Jon Hardcastle
> > E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > '..Be fearful when others are greedy, and be
> greedy when others are
> > fearful.' -----------------------
>
> I am not sure what your problem really is - but why
> don't you exclude the
> drivers in /etc/conf.d/smartd?

It is a server, but i want the drive to power down if they aren't going to be
used for a while.. Also the -n option only works for other kinds of checks..
not for scheduled checks. there appears to be no way to exclude drives that are
sleeping from scheduled checks.

I want the drives to be checked by smartd also. I just hoped there was a way of
getting smartd to wait alittle longer after waking the drive up.