Justin wrote:
James Homuth schrieb:
There are several packages that were thrown around on the list, or versions
of packages, that I've come across that I figure I might want to take an
active interest in. However, to avoid sending my boxes into a tailspin, I'm
staying away from installing the still in development versions. What I'd
like to know though is if there's some means of knowing if/when, as an
example, a newer version of Portage is supposed to be considered stable. If
not then I can always keep an eye on the relevant RSS feeds, but it was
mostly just curiosity on my part. Thanks either way.

James

Quite easy,

emerge --sync
emerge -up world system,

then you know whats gone stable with higher versions.

Or, to also cover packages not in world/system, you can do:

emerge -p1u `qlist -IC`

(Don't omit the "1" from the options or you'll mess up your world file with packages that are purely dependencies.)

I wonder why emerge doesn't do something like this by default, actually. Say a package has a serious exploit and an update was made. If the package isn't in world, emerge will never grab the update.