On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Michael P. Soulier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 20/11/08 Michael P. Soulier said:
>> On 20/11/08 Redouane Boumghar said:
>> > SO please check how much available memory you have
>>
>> I have 1Gig in this system, and I'm planning to add more.
>
> So, I killed firefox to free up memory and let it build overnight. The build
> completed successfully. Perhaps it was a memory issue.
>
> I'm starting to think that ebuilds need available memory requirements. Don't
> build this without 1Gig of free memory, etc...

There is this in the Openoffice ebuild
# Check if we have enough RAM and free diskspace to build this beast
        CHECKREQS_MEMORY="512"
        use debug && CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="8192" || CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="5120"
        check_reqs

I have one observation and one doubt
Observation: more packages should have warnings against this. GCC 4.3
needs more than 1.5GiB of disk space to build, at least with the USE
flags fortran gcj gtk mudflap openmp.

Doubt: don't you have enough swap? Does Openoffice need so much memory
that even with swap it failed?