On 24 Nov 2008, at 11:07, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

I would love a file system that transparently replicates over several systems - say 2 - 5.

It doesn't need to amalgamate spare in any way (as BillK requests), let's just say I just have a couple of gig on each machine that I want replicated.

I should be able to read & operate on the files on the "partition" just as normal, but when a file is saved to or deleted from any one machine the change should be replicated on all the others across the (slow) network.

Basically, the idea is that I should be able to set machines A, B & C as MX for my domain and be able to read a new message whichever machine receives it. I should be able to run all 3 machines as IMAP servers and connect to any one of them to see the same view of my messages. When the IMAP server deletes or moves a message (on, say, A) that transaction should be replicated across B & C. (But likewise if the message is moved or deleted on B then the transaction should be replicated across A & C).

I suspect I would be optimistic if I hoped for something so sophisticated to be readily available, as I am aware that this would be problematic to implement. But do you have any suggestions?

Stroller.