I've got an ati/amd64 system that no matter what combo
of xorg-server, xorg-x11 and ati-drivers, I cannot get
it to work.

lspci shows:
00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc
RD580 [CrossFire Xpress 3200]
Chipset
Host Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI-X Root Port
00:06.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
R580 [Radeon X1900 XT](Primary)
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc
R580 [Radeon X1900 XT] (Secondary)

It all worked fine until an update a few days ago.

I do not need the latest version of anything just something that works.

Any suggestions are most appreciated

Currently the system is booted and kde is working but I removed
ati-drivers trying to fix it. Now I cannot get any version of
ati-drivers to work, despite trying the latest ideas in bug 246672.

Any help is appreciated. Precise version numbers of xorg-server
xorg-x11 and ati-drivers is what I really need. Just advise
on a combo that works with a r580 chipset.....

James