On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 07:29, Florian Philipp
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Iain Buchanan schrieb:
>>
>> R C Mitchell wrote:
>>>
>>> I use Ubuntu for every day but as my box has a spare 40GB hard disk I
>>> decided
>>> to have a go at installing Gentoo on it for evaluation
>>
>> ah, who says Ubuntu isn't good for anything?  Good to see you're trying a
>> real distribution :) </flame>
>>
>> Typically now you'd prove me wrong and say how you've been using
>> <dieHardLinux> for years... anyhoo welcome!
>>
>>> [snip excellent problem report]
>>
>>> I'm reluctant to believe that this is down to an arbitrary hardware
>>> fault,
>>> since everything else works fine.  It does seem to have something to do
>>> with
>>> emerging gentoo-sources.
>>
>> hm, this screams hardware fault all over - I haven't seen one issue like
>> this come to anything else.  Usually it's the RAM.  Can you humour me and
>> try a stick from another machine, or at least reseat it?
>>

> Iain's diagnosis seems about right. I would start with a nice 2h memtest86+
> test followed with a 1h cpuburn test.
I believe you mean 2d memtest86+ unless computer has DDR9-99999 RAM
where 100 (full) cycles could be completed in under 2 hours.
Also, do cpuburn for a day or more - bad cooling could take hours to
mnifest themselves.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Woody Allen  - "I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick.
Not wounded. Dead."