Etaoin Shrdlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thursday 4 December 2008, 23:16, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I've seen it discussed here about how to access other repositories
>> besides the default ones shown on the mirrors link at gentoo.org.
>>
>> But am completely drawing blanks now trying to remember how I might go
>> about accessing other repos... also could use a word of advice as to
>> which are reliable or whatever.
>
> If by "other repositories" you mean overlays, see this:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/userguide.xml

I see yes, but how do you tell what the member overlays are about?
Those with names like `Apache' `perl' `VMware' etc are obvious enough
but what about things like `Sunrise Gentoo User Overlay' or the ones
just named after developers?

  layman -L just shows the source address.

  http://overlays.gentoo.org/

Shows little more

Is there no handy way to get an idea what you might encounter in the
different overlays?  There doesn't seem to be any descriptions
anywhere.