On 5 Dec 2008, at 05:56, hiren joshi wrote:
- no internet connection and
- still want to compile the source for my specific
architecture/processor to make my system speedy

Are there CD/DVDs available that contains sources (burn to CD/DVD at a
point of time) of all the gentoo packages?
If yes, pls point me to a link about how can I install gentoo using
these CD/DVDs.

If not, any other method to achieve this?

Best thing to do is burn the stage CD and also a copy of the Portage Daily Snapshot [1].

Boot from it the stage 1 on your Internetless machine, and instead of syncing unpack the snapshot into /usr/portage. When you get to the `emerge world` part (or any `emerge` part) of the installation instructions, substitute with `emerge -pvf > textfile.txt`. Then take textfile.txt to a connected machine & use wget to fetch all the packages listed in it. Copy those onto a CD & then into /usr/portage/ distfiles/

This is a bit time-consuming, especially as you probably won't initially be aware of all the packages you need, but it's well- documented and it's pretty much the only way to install packages under Gentoo.

Compiling from source probably won't make any significant difference to the speed of your machine, especially stage 1 vs stage 3 - stage 1 will probably just make the installation more complex and result in more sneakernet trips between the connected & disconnected machines.

Stroller.

[1]
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/snapshots/portage-latest.tar.bz2