How can I tell which modules of those listed by `lsmod' are actually
being used?

In the situation during an install when the livecd has loaded every
module known to man... how can I tell which are actually being use for
my hardware?

The network is easy enough since only one is loaded but there must be
30 sound related modules loaded.

Further... this is a vmware with gentoo as guest being installed.  It
shows a SVGA driven display during boot.

I can't tell if any of the many modules loaded are related to that.
The newest kernel doesn't appear to have a choice related to SVGA.