On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 00:44:35 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>>> Not only can I ping the router... but I can connect with tcp to
>>> anything I want to on the internet.
>>>
>>> Its just that I can't ping the internet.
>>
>> I thought you couldn't ping the rest of the LAN either?
>
> No.  I can ping anywhere on the home lan.  Sorry if that was not
> clear.
>
>> If the only box you can ping is the router,it sounds like a router setting
>> somewhere. What happens if you plug the computer into a different port on
>> the router? Does the router have any DMZ features turned on?
>
> I can ping any box inside the lan, including the router, but even then
> it still sounds like a router setting since any other lan box can ping
> out to internet with no problem.  However I cannot find a router
> setting that would do that.  And I have no special setting in place
> that I can find.
>
> About DMZ, yes the router has the capability to send to a DMZ but it
> is disabled.
>
> my network is simple and looks like (hope this survivs mail encoding):
>
>                      Cable modem to internet
>  =================  Netgear FVS-318 gateway  ==================
>  |          |           |                      |        |
>  mch1      mch2        mch3                   mch4     mch5
> ^^^^^^
>  ^
>  ^
> no ping to internet
> From above mch1
> But it can ping any of
> the other mchs including router

I agree with Neil. It sounds like a router issue. Possibly a DMZ
setting in the router is the same as the IP of the machine that
doesn't work correctly so the ping gets to the DMZ and the response is
sent out to the Internet instead of back inside?

If the 5 internal machines have consecutive addresses, have you tried
changing the IP address of the machine that doesn't work to something
above #5? Maybe disconnect one of the other machines and give the
problem box that IP address?

I don't think you stated how the problem box got its address. Is it
fixed IP or something provided by the router?

- Mark