Hi Damian,

by the way rsnapshot is a more sophisticated tool to back up your root
file system. it is based on rsync, but the bright idea behind is that it
creates a history (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly) with copying the hole
system only one time.

Maybe this is what you preferably want.
Kind regards,
der Max