Am Freitag, den 28.11.2008, 13:46 +0200 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> Any Linux defrag tool you encounter will have been written by a third party
> separate from the developers. It will move blocks around and update
> superblocks, the drive will have to be unmounted for that to work and a
> slight misunderstanding of how to do it will ruin data.
With one exception:
xfs_fsr ("filesystem reorganizer for XFS") which is hidden (on most
distros) in the "xfsdump"-package.

It is a tool written by the xfs-developers, to defrag xfs-partitions.
Most importantly it works (only) on mounted partitions!

It can be run from cron, to walk all your xfs-partitions at night and
continue where it left of yesterday.
It seems to be designed for very huge and hyperactive installations.

In the man page it notes: "In general we do not foresee the need to run
xfs_fsr on system partitions such as /, /boot and /usr as in general
these will not suffer from fragmentation."

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key: http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887