On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:01:20 +1100, Dave Oxley wrote:

> I upgraded from gentoo-sources-2.6.27-r4 to -r5 a couple of days ago and
> got the below error messages in /var/log/messages. Also dovecot was using
> 100% CPU and could not be killed. This resulted in me having to hard reset
> the server. This happened 3 times until I eventually reverted back to -r4
> and all was stable again. The config used for both kernels was the same
> and it happened after irregular intervals of between 5 hours and 9 hours.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Things are back to normal now but I will obviously
> be wary about my next kernel upgrade.

More info and pointers to fix here:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0812.1/02305.html
or
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0812.1/02590.html

Just apply the patch to lib/idr.c and things should be fine again (or wait
for stable.10). GregKH is doing an amazing job and it's not his fault, but
nevertheless the rate of changes to -stable has just totally spiralled out
of control.

-h