On 01/01/09 Alan McKinnon said:

> He also asked a very generic question, the kind that doesn't really have an
> answer. So no-one likely will.
>
> For all we know, the hardware in question is a floppy drive. Or token ring.
>
> Michael, what package, what hardware are we talking about?
> Your question can only be answered in context.

In this case an nvidia video card, that nvidia is dropping support for. But,
I've been bitten in the past by kernel upgrades that suddenly don't work with
my power management, or change apic support so suddenly my usb devices stop
working, etc.

I just wondering how many people check the delta on every package they're
upgrading, and how many simply upgrade and hope it works.

> Gentoo is also somewhat general-purpose. There comes a point where obscure
> hardware is no longer worth the effort of supporting, or no-one is willing to
> do it, so that hardware has to be dropped.

Understood. I think it might be best for me to block upgrades on packages that
interface directly with my hardware unless there's a compelling reason to do
so. Staying current isn't very compelling if what I have is working. At times
the interdependencies get so complex that it's a wonder that anything on the
system works at all. :)

Cheers,
Mike
--