On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:01:13 -0800 (PST), maxim wexler wrote:

> Been looking at netbooks. I like the idea of the SS drive but I've
> heard that they're so compact they tend to deteriorate after lots of
> read/write cycles.

SSD drives have wear levelling, unlike flash memory cards and sticks, so
they should last a lot longer. The most used directory on a Gentoo system
is probably $PORTAGE_TMPDIR, which I have on an SDHC card.

> What's been the group's experience?
>
> Must have a matte screen and hopefully a keyboard that's not too
> cramped. And gentoo-worthy, of course.

I've been using this Eee PC 900 for around eight months, now that the
2.6.28 kernel has support for both wired and wireless interfaces, just
about everything works fine without and special software.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sex is better than logic. You can't prove it, but it is.