Now the modules do correctly (I suppose) create the needed devices and the init scripts pull the interface up. But the boot messages complain about not having set WEP-Keys, which are set in the config file residing at /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. That results in my WLAN is associated to an unsecured access point in my area.

I solved my problem. After the initial and working configuration for wpa_supplicant I also installed the wireless-tools. It was simply curiousity about the user interface of the latter. Sadly I forgot to unmerge it after playing around. Since the wireless-tools are preferred over wpa_supplicant by default the next boot tried to use the unconfigured wireless-tools.

Greetings

Jan